Thursday, March 24, 2005

How bad does a book have to be?

I generally enjoy reading and can keep my internal editor quiet for the most part, but I read a book yesterday that just set my teeth on edge. I was twitching with the need to red-pen it.

Out orf respect for the author, I won't mention the title here, but I will give the basics on what annoyed me.

This tiytle mostly focused on a teen who must go overseas. Her mother hooked up with an Australian guy online and mom has planned a getting to know you trip. Mom and daughter lived in NYC.

The first thing to strain the believability for me was that they had a spacious four bedroom apartment in NYC, with two live in staff. Mom was an employee in an advertising firm and admittedly does okay...okay, not fabulously, but okay. A four bedroom apartment in NYC and two live in staff costs a mint. What would an apartment like that cost? 4000-5000 a month I'd think and that is conservative. Add salaries for two live-ins and mom surely must be making in the 250,000 a year or so range. A quick browse of Craigslist shows apartments in the 4000-6500 range.

Anyway, the heroine and her mom seem to live a comfortable life, but I didn't get the impression that they were doing so well.

The heroine's speech patterns needed a lot of work. This is an urban NYC born and bred heroine and in the first few pages she's talking like an Australian or a Brit. Not only that, she didn't speak like any teen I've ever heard. The author and editor dropped the ball here!

The book was a pleasant read once I was able to put these gripes aside, but these items did annoy me.

Can you put your internal editor aside?

1 Comments:

<$BlogCommentAuthor$> said...

<$BlogCommentBody$>