Thursday, January 27, 2005

I could SWEAR I did a blogger post yesterday!

I've been in power work mode for the last few days, so posting hasn't been frequent, but I'm working on that!

The man is home today. He had a tough day at work and didn't get home until about 7 last night. They've completely ELIMNATED OT at his company, yet they expect him to work 55-65 or so hours a week. Previously, they'd pay 8 hours of overtime a week, because the sales department has put his department in this position by grossly overselling. He's already booked for 12 hours on a job site on Sunday, so he doesn't feel too terrible about taking today off. I hope he isn't too chatty...I have a LOT of work to do. Then again, I have 12 hours alone on Sunday so...

Speaking of the man, he got his first freelance job approved yesterday. He's working on a job in Saipan, an island in the South Pacific. No travel required, so he can make his magic happen right here! The professional confidence and money are huge plusses and if he doesn't go over, he gets to keep his vacation time.

I did something totally frivolous last night. I joined Booksfree (http://www.booksfree.com). Its a cross between a library and Netflix for books. My local library system is very light on modern urban fantasy and romance and there are quite a few books I buy instead of borrowing and I don't NEED to buy them. The price is about what I'd pay for a couple of mass market books a month and these guys are local, so this should work well.

Its funny...my library is ONLY around the corner and yet it seems like such a huge effort to get there. I may use the library for trade paperbacks and new releases and rely on Booksfree for most everything else. i have a GREAT library system and the do the best they can but romance and SF/fantasy just aren't their priority.

I know Angie is dying to know what my first shipment entails . My first four books shipping today are Heat Stroke by Rachel Caine, Bitten by Kelley Armstrong, Conquistador by S.M. Stirling, and All Keyed Up by Mary Stella. I have 61 books in queue so far, a good blend between alternate history and romance.

I hope they get more small press in...must request that they do!




1 Comments:

<$BlogCommentAuthor$> said...

<$BlogCommentBody$>