Thursday, January 20, 2005

Inauguration Thoughts

Today I can't help but remember a night 8 years ago, the one and only time I went to a presidential inauguration.

I had been friends with some musicians and one IMed me saying that he'd just heard that the guy he played with was signed up for one of the Inaugural balls. He asked me to attend, which was really neat! The very next day I did a bit of research and...

Tickets for the ball were only 100.00. In an era when concert tickets normally double this, I was pretty shocked!

My roommate, a friend and I bought tickets and my roommate and I scurried off to Macy's to find appropriate dresses. To my utter shock, I found a gorgeous irridecent blue dress for under 20.00 (normal retail price was over 500!) Even more shocking was that it looked great!

So, that evening we trundled off to the WORST area of DC to the White House Staff and Dc Government Ball. We spent a bit of time with the musicians who were all so handsome in their suits (I have some pictures that maybe I'll scan in someday!) . We mingled, I even flirted with some of the single men there.

Then, the musical acts started playing. I settled right against the barrier and got my camera ready. The acts were phenomenal...great entertainment!

Then my friends came onstage and it was just wonderful to see them playing such a high-profile event! Al and Tipper Gore came in when their set was about half done. The feeling was electric...beyond electric actually! I loved Tipper's red dress and Al cut quite a handsome figure in his tux. They danced briefly and spoke for maybe five minutes.

When they departed, the building was almost humming with excitement and anticipation. I was shocked to realize that I was trembling.

Then the first notes of Hail to the Chief began playing and a roar from the crowd shook the rafters. Bill entered looking amazing in his tux. Hilary didn't score a fashion plus with me...she had on a gold dress that made her look rather hippy.

Bill really played up to the crowd and he was amazing. Charisma rolled off him in waves. I could barely look away. When he caught my eye and posed for a photo from the stage, I felt the same deep pull inside that I felt when I inadvertently flashed Paul McCartney and he grinned at me. If you want that one told, drop me an email...I'm NOT posting that here!

I was shocked when I heard someone calling my name from the stage. One of the band members was frantically gesturing to us and calling our names. They wanted us to take pics of them shaking hands with the Clintons. I managed to get a few pics snapped, thankfully.

It was just an incredible night! I've vowed that I would try to get to every Inauguration, but I won't be making it this year, since my DH is working IN DC (poor guy!) until late this evening.

2 Comments:

<$BlogCommentAuthor$> said...

<$BlogCommentBody$>