Sunday, January 01, 2006

I've been blogging my book reading for 2005

Some interesting stats have cropped up.

I read 89 pleasure books this last year...the majority were probably fantasy. I guess it is safe to say that I'm on a fantasy reading jag LOL! This year I'm going to attempt to rate the books I've read for pleasure...my states for '06 should be similarly interesting ;)

Some of the books that stood out:

Days of Infamy Harry Turtledove/End of the Beginning by Harry Turtledove. This is an alternate history series set in a Pearl Harbor enduring a ground invasion in WW II. I love the way he presents so many POvs and makes me care about the 'good' and 'bad' guys.

The Kelley Armstrong Women of Otherworld books. What can I say?? Fabulous! I have no idea why I waited so long to try these.

Wen Spencer's Tinker. Wow. I've read and reread this book and I'm just in awe of how thoroughly the author pulls me in!

Rachel Caine's Weather Warden books. Again, what can I say beside fabulous and fantastic! The third book in this series saved me from a bout of insanity when my husband and I were stuck in the traffic jam from hell...we went some 70 miles (of 500) in 7 hours!

The Curious Incident Of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon. This was a best-seller that I picked up. We suspect someone close has a type of autism and this book really helped me to understand her thought processes.

The Abbey Cooper mystery series by Victoria Laurie. Fantastic reads. I don't read much mystery but the character of Abbey Cooper

The story of my life : an Afghan girl on the other side of the sky /Farah Ahmedi with Tamim Ansary. This was the biographical story of a teen...very thought provoking.

Carpe Demon by Julie Kenner. Really enjoyed the spirt of this book :)

Eragon by Christopher Paolini. Sweeping fantasy that just pulled me in and didn't let me go!

The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella. Best chick-litty read this year.

The Gergor Series by Suzanne Collins. YA fantasy...quite well done. A YA book that really focused on family...with giant loyal cockroches. How could I not enjoy these?

The Amber Room/Romanov Prophecy by Steve Berry. I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed thrillers until I read these two books. The Romanov Prophecy helped me get through not one, not two, but THREE flights on 9/11.

If Angels Burn by Lynn Viehl. Phenomenal book!

Nylon Angel by Marianne dePierres. Yep, I read a cyberpunk novel and I LOVED it!

Children of the Shaman by Jessica Rydill. Intriguing fantasy! I 'm trying to locate the sequel!

The Necessary Beggar by Susan Palwick. Fabulous fantasy! Very lyrical and written with a very gentle hand.

Resurrection Day by Brandon Dubois. incredibly good alternate history about a world in which the Cuban Missle Crisis led to full-on nuclear war. The action takes place 10 years after the war. This was perhaps the finest alternate history I've read in years, though Harry Turtledove is a close runner up!

Dragon's Eye by James Hetley Fabulous modern fantasy. New author to me but I plan to devour his other books! This is a modern fantasy set in Maine that features shape-shifters and mob influences and two families who have ancient powers.

Touched by venom by Janine Cross. I picked this book up because of the online banter and read it in one sitting. I'm interested to see where the author goes with the sequels!

Confessions of a Super Mom by Melanie Lynne Hauser. Thoroughgly enchanting! I'm an unabashed fan of superhero books and this was just my cup of tea!

0 Comments:

<$BlogCommentAuthor$> said...

<$BlogCommentBody$>