Friday, December 02, 2005

rediscovering the joy of reading

I've always loved to read. I was raised by my elderly aunts and their husbands, who always told me to 'go away and amuse myself'. I found that amusement in books. I suppose it was inevitable. Both of my parents were huge readers (though my mom doesn't read for pleasure any more). My paternal grandmother was a remedial reading and speed reading teacher who gave me dictionaries and speed reading books as Christmas presents. Looking back...yeah, I was meant to be a reader.

Somewhere I lost the...excitement about reading. I still read and enjoyed books, but it was very passive, there was no real excitement about anticipating the next book in a series or eagerly devouring a book. I didn't savor the words or allow myself to get lost in a book. I rarely, if ever, read a book cover to cover in one sitting.

Since moving to Chicago on this temoporary assignment at my husband's new company, I've really rediscovered the joy of reading. I found myself shaking my head in amusement when I woke up early one day to read the last fifty pages of a book before starting work. An entire Saturday went by while I was lost in the pages of a great book. I'm trying to read for pleasure at least an hour a day, and I'm enjoying a lot of what I'm reading (Mostly fantasy right now).

I've rediscovered the joy of reading and it feels so good :)

0 Comments:

<$BlogCommentAuthor$> said...

<$BlogCommentBody$>