Sunday, May 08, 2005

What makes someone eligible to celebrate Mothers' Day?

I didn't want to contaminate such a positive post with this one, so please excuse my multiple entries.

So...what makes someone worthy of celebrating Mothers' Day?

I called my mom this morning and my stepfather said 'Happy Not A Mother Day'. This bothered me on a few levels.

First, he knows how deeply I long to be a mother and how much pain and heartache this has caused Mark and I. Did I mention that we're beginning to research International adoption? Since Mark's reversal surgery only has a 5-10% likelihood of being effective and he isn't really open to donor sperm, it seems like our best option.

Second, I have been a stepmother for almost four YEARS. Granted, my stepkids are a world away, but that doesn't mean that I feel their joys and sadnesses any less intensely or that my heart is any less involved.

I started thinking about what makes someone eligible to celebrate this special day. My maternal line is very Italian and very matriarchal.

I was raised by my great grandmother's two sisters and their husbands...I saw my mom only once or twice a week until I moved in with her when I was 13. Only one of these special ladies is still alive...My Aunt 'Chick' is still chugging along though she is in her mid-nineties.

Even though 500 miles are between us, I try to let her know how truly honored I am to have been raised by her. She had a LOT of quirks but in a family where Mom wasn't a huge force in my life, this woman well into her sixties and her sister, husband and brother in law fed me, clothed me, soothed my nightmares and nursed me to health for THRITEEN years. That amazes me!

She never had natural children but I think of her as a co-mom with her sister, my aunt Emma and my biological mom.

Does the fact that she never bore children make her any less of a mom? I don't think so! She was the first person I called today.

The second was my Aunt Nila, my Mom's younger sister. She and I got very close in the last 6 years or so. Though she's never been married and doesn't have children, she's a positive mothering force in my life even today. We seem to get closer as I get older and especially now that we're both in the publishing field.

Should she be honored today as well? Absolutely!

Mothers come in all shapes and sizes...their relationship and biological motherhood should have no bearing on how they celebrate the day!

2 Comments:

<$BlogCommentAuthor$> said...

<$BlogCommentBody$>