Tuesday, January 16, 2007

what are people *thinking*??!??!

Earlier this evening, we went to CVS pharmacy. A woman pulled in beside us, looked in the back seat, and walked inside.

Mark and I discussed this about fifteen minutes later and we walked out to look. Lo and behold there was a BABY in an UNLOCKED car. He thought it was just a baby seat.

We took down the lisence number and we went back into CVS looking for the mother. After she paid for her perscription (Mark found her in line and asked was that her car--she lied and said no), I found her looking at makeup and asked if it was her car. Ashmed, she scuttled out and I followed her.

Yes, while her baby SCREAMED in an unlocked car with NO supervision, adult or child she was LOOKING AT MAKEUP.

I wanted to call the police, Mark didn't want to. Coincidentally, we found a policeman in the 7-11 next door where we stopped next, and the cop was of the opinion that it was probably a one-time thing and it would be a pity to involve CPS etc.

Well, I see his point BUT it only takes one time for a child to be kidnapped, or choke or...my god, the possibilities send a chill up my spine.

Oh, did I mention that the CVS has a drive up perscription service??

The child wasn't a newborn but was definitely an infant (I'd say 3-6 months old).

Tell me, is this something most parents do? Common sense says hell no, but I also frown at kids eating dinner after eight on a school night, kids dressed inappropriately for the weather, or far too old for their chronological age, etc.

And I still feel saddened thinking of the kids who went to Manassas in a cab and shopped then went to dinner and waited for their mother. The girl wasn't older than ten and her brother couldn't have been more than six. Childhood is so fleeting...

Don't these people understand that children are our most precious gifts and it only takes one minute (not to mention 15-20) for something tragic to happen. Thinking of that baby alone in an unlocked car is horrifying!

0 Comments:

<$BlogCommentAuthor$> said...

<$BlogCommentBody$>