Sunday, May 14, 2006

Happy Mom's Day!

I hope all the mothers, grandmothers, step-moms, aunts, godmothers and anyone who has loved or mothered a child had a wonderful day!

As a step-mom to grown children, I've never celebrated Mother's Day, but this year I got to speak with my eldest step-son, I got a card and my dear hubby took me out for a special dessert. I feel very spoiled and cherished on this day.

And to top it off, I got to speak with my Mom today, and my aunt.

Mom isn't getting any younger and has had a host of health problems for the last 15 yrs. , including, but not limited to cancer. My Mom and I haven't had an ideal relationship but as we both get older, we try to see the wisdom in each other. We're both aware that time is fleeting and that we need to cherish every moment, and I think our relationship is as strong as it has ever been.

My aunt is like a mother to me. She and her sister raised me, despite the fact that they were in their sixties when I was born (they're the sisters of my *GREAT* grandmother). I owe so much to this woman... There just aren't words. She and her husband were involved at my schools, fed me, clothed me, took care of me when I was sick, and they did all of this when they could have been enjoying their retirement years. Aunt 'Chick' and Uncle 'Gall' and Aunt Emma and Uncle Charlie were my support system growing up and I feel so lucky to have known them.

Of the two couples, only Aunt 'Chick' is still alive. At 94 yrs. old, she is quite frail these days. She had a nasty broken hip earlier this year, and things were touch and go for a while. I've never been more aware that every moment with her is a gift. It was so nice to wish her a Happy Mother's Day today. She never had children of her womb, but she raised, or helped raise, my mother, her sister, her two brothers, me, and my younger cousin. That is some legacy, wouldn't you say?

0 Comments:

<$BlogCommentAuthor$> said...

<$BlogCommentBody$>