Saturday, September 23, 2006

I love weekend mornings :)

Lately, my work life has been so packed that I've not been able to take a breath in over a week. This morning it was so nice to get up and relax. I actually watched some TV.

I really have come to enjoy quiet weekend mornings. Typically, Mark gets up and chats with his kids. I usually listen and do paperwork or read a magazine or just relax. It is the equivalent of family time around a kitchen table.

My Mom's family is Italian, and when we all lived in the same small town, everyone would gravitate to my grandparents' house on a Saturday morning and sit around the kitchen table. When I was really young, my grandfather and I would go for walks (Usually to the library LOL!) or just hang out watching TV or kick a soccer ball around. My grandmother would have danishes and the coffeepot would always be on. We're a pretty small family. At that point in time, I was the only grandchild and my mother has two brothers (one deceased) and only one sister. We'd spend mornings and early afternoons just visiting. It was really nice :)

Sunday mornings, on the other hand were frenetic. My dad lived about fifty miles away and Sunday was our visiting day. I'd have to be up and freshly scrubbed and waiting for him to arrive any time between eight and nine, depending on the traffic. When he'd arrive, we drive down to his mother's house, where she'd feed and coddle us for hours. On the way home, we'd often stop some place and just hang out, the two of us. For the longest time, we stopped at a small place and played Ms. Pac Man. Gosh, am I dating myself or what!

Since I moved away from home, weekend haven't usually been a fun time. I spent too long in retail management and would usually have to be at my job early on both Saturday and Sunday. Later on in other jobs, weekends were usually the MOST important time. Then, when Mark came into my live, we did courier routes on Sturdays and sometimes Sundays.

Then I started working from home. My computer is in the living room, so fully escaping work on the weekends didn't work for me at our old place. Only in the last year have I tried to take weekends off, only working if Mark has to work as well. I've recaptured the weekends in a big way.

Now, on Saturdays I'm chiming in on the voice conferences with the kids, or, if they're not around, we're either reading books on the couch or playing a board or card game at the table. This relaxation is a very nice thing to have recaptured!

0 Comments:

<$BlogCommentAuthor$> said...

<$BlogCommentBody$>