Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Claws out, memories, stepkids...a late-night ramble

Last evening, I had an extended 'claws out' session at a message board I've frequented for a decade. A poster was discussing the long-ago murdr of an actress and it got into a debate about fixations and stalkerish behavior, etc.

In the thread of posts, after I'd pretty much shealthed my claws, I spoke about a dear friend of mine who was killed 17 years ago. It is so strange to realize that she's been gone for so long. She was tragically murdered a few weeks after her 18th birthday.

Laur and I had become friends because we shared a Biology class together. She and another friend and I were lab partners and we bonded over the terribly twisted name of 'Stiffy' for our dissection cat. As the school year went on, our friendship strengthened and we soon became inseperable.

The next spring, we found ourselves working at the same establishment and driving together in her Jeep to the training store. Pink Floyd had just released their Momentary Lapse of Reason CD and we'd sing 'Learning to Fly' and 'On the Turning Away' at the tops of our lungs. Every time I hear those songs, I can hear us harmonizing at top volume.

One day, Laur asked me to drive across the state with her to pick up a family member. I said yes, but then had to cancel when our manager called me in to work a shift. No problem, see ya tomorrow, we both said.

The next day, the police arrived as the store was being opened. Laur had never arrived at her destination....did any of us have any ideas what had happened. The grim truth became clear a few days later, when we learned she'd been murdered.

Seventeen years on, her killer was never found.

Please join me in raising a glass to Laur.

What has me particularly reflective now is that my youngest stepdaughter, Rachel, has just turned 18. 18 years old...it seems so incredibly young and grown up at the same time.

I don't get the opportunity to chat with Rachel as much as we'd like (darn time zone differences) but Mark had an extended chat with her last week and I was able to listen in. I know parents say this all the time, but I have to stress something...I am SO impressed with Rachel. She's had an extraordinary amount of stress in her life, including her mother moving overseas when she was only 15 (Her dad has lived overseas for the last 4 years) and yet she's such a grounded woman.

I've known Rachel since she was 12, and it has been a sublime honor to watch her shape herself into an incredible adult. She's known what career she wanted since age 13 and has been working toward it for 5 years. She's now at university and knows how she intends to implement her degree. Her resolve and determination are a real inspiration to me and I just know she'll do well.

0 Comments:

<$BlogCommentAuthor$> said...

<$BlogCommentBody$>